Financial Case for Quality Behavioral Health Benefits
- The #1 reason for hospital admissions nationwide is psychiatric disorder
- Mental illness is far more common than cancer, diabetes, heart disease or arthritis (approximately 54 million Americans suffer from mental illness).
- Mental illness will impact 1 out of 4 families
- Mental illness can and does strike all age groups, nationalities, genders, and
- The cost of mental illness to society, including lost productivity, absenteeism, and substance abuse exceeds $180 billion a year.
- The cost of depression to employers is nearly $44 billion annually, with an
estimated 200 million days of missed work
- Depression is the leading cause of disability in the United States.
- Often individuals rely on primary care physicians to treat the somatic symptoms
associated with depression and other mental illnesses. A two- year study reported
that general medical benefit costs actually decreased for individuals utilizing
mental health benefits.
- A 30% cost reduction in mental health services at a large Connecticut corporation
triggered a 37% increase in medical care use and sick leave by employees using
mental health services, thus costing the corporation more money rather than less
SAMHSA's Mental Health Resource Center